Welcome to the Chauhan lab at the University of Iowa
Research in my laboratory is focused to better understand how metabolic reprogramming regulates platelet and leukocyte function and whether targeting enzymes involved in aerobic glycolysis can inhibit thrombo-inflammation.
If successful, this could be developed as a therapeutic strategy toward better management of patients at high risk for acute coronary events and stroke.
We utilize state-of-the-art imaging techniques like intravital microscopy, laser-speckle imaging and magnetic resonance imaging in order to study mechanistic role of thrombo-inflammation in the modulation of acute ischemic stroke and thrombosis. In addition, research projects use molecular and cellular techniques, combined with genetically modified mice to investigate the role of novel molecules in the pathophysiology of atherosclerosis and neointimal hyperplasia.
Chauhan lab-members (June-2019) Rishabh, Amit, Dr Chauhan, Madan, Manasa (lower) Prakash, Gagan, Manish, and Nirav
- Targeting Myeloid-Cell Specific Integrin α9β1 Inhibits Arterial Thrombosis in Mice. Dhanesha N, Nayak MK, Doddapattar P, Jain M, Flora GD, Kon S, Chauhan AK. Blood. 2020 Jan 17. pii: blood.2019002846
- Smooth muscle cell-specific fibronectin-EDA mediates phenotypic switching and neointimal hyperplasia. Jain M, Dhanesha N, Doddapattar P, Chorawala MR, Nayak MK, Cornelissen A, Guo L, Finn AV, Lentz SR, Chauhan AK. J Clin Invest. 2020 Jan 2;130(1):295-314
- Fn-EDA (Fibronectin Containing Extra Domain A) in the Plasma, but Not Endothelial Cells, Exacerbates Stroke Outcome by Promoting Thrombo-Inflammation. Dhanesha N, Chorawala MR, Jain M, Bhalla A, Thedens D, Nayak M, Doddapattar P, Chauhan AK. Stroke. 2019 May;50(5):1201-1209
- Dichloroacetate, an inhibitor of pyruvate dehydrogenase kinases, inhibits platelet aggregation and arterial thrombosis. Nayak MK, Dhanesha N, Doddapattar P, Rodriguez O, Sonkar VK, Dayal S, Chauhan AK. Blood Adv. 2018 Aug 14;2(15):2029-2038.
- Genetic Ablation of Extra Domain A of Fibronectin in Hypercholesterolemic Mice Improves Stroke Outcome by Reducing Thrombo-Inflammation. Dhanesha N, Ahmad A, Prakash P, Doddapattar P, Lentz SR, Chauhan AK. Circulation. 2015 Dec 8;132(23):2237-47
- Endothelial Cell-Derived Von Willebrand Factor, But Not Platelet-Derived, Promotes Atherosclerosis in Apolipoprotein E-Deficient Mice. Doddapattar P, Dhanesha N, Chorawala MR, Tinsman C, Jain M, Nayak MK, Staber JM, Chauhan AK. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2018
- ADAMTS13 Retards Progression of Diabetic Nephropathy by Inhibiting Intrarenal Thrombosis in Mice. Dhanesha N, Doddapattar P, Chorawala MR, Nayak MK, Kokame K, Staber JM, Lentz SR, Chauhan AK Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2017 Jul;37(7):1332-1338.
- Fibronectin Splicing Variants Containing Extra Domain A Promote Atherosclerosis in Mice Through Toll-Like Receptor 4. Doddapattar P, Gandhi C, Prakash P, Dhanesha N, Grumbach IM, Dailey ME, Lentz SR, Chauhan AK Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2015 Nov;35(11):2391-400.
- Cellular fibronectin containing extra domain A promotes arterial thrombosis in mice through platelet Toll-like receptor 4. Prakash P, Kulkarni PP, Lentz SR, Chauhan AK. Blood. 2015 May 14;125(20):3164-72